Since from when I was young I always have loved Starbucks’ lemon loaf cake. Even from before Starbucks had swapped to the delicious La Boulange baked goods, I was always drawn to the sweet & tart lemony goodness. I’ve been wanting to make a variation of it for quite some time now, and when I found these adorable mini loaf pans, I knew exactly what to use them for. This recipe gets its moisture from a combination of greek yogurt and sour cream and from soaking in a lemon-sugar mixture after after baking. The lemon extract and zest add a little zing, while the sweet glaze balances the tanginess out.
Mini Lemon Loaf Cakes
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa’s Recipe
Makes 3 mini loaf cakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup plain whole Greek yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
zest of 2 lemons
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, sour cream, eggs, 1 cup of the sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and lemon extracts.
2. Gradually whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold the vegetable oil into the batter (make sure it’s all incorporated).
3. Pour batter into mini loaf pans that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until center is set, and when tested with a toothpick, comes out clean.
4. While the cakes are baking, combine the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice into a small pan on medium heat, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
5. When the cakes are done, let rest for 10 minutes. While the cakes are still warm, pour the sugar-lemon mixture over the cakes and allow them to absorb the liquid. Let cool.
For the glaze:
Whisk together the confections sugar and lemon juice. Pour over cakes. Serve cakes with a dollop of whipped cream and lemon zest.
Take the cakes out of the loaf pans and set on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
Hope everyone enjoys the sunny weekend!